Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Restaurant Advertisements and Obesity-WE NEED A CHANGE

I am going to start this all off with stating that I live in Cleveland, Ohio. One of the top cities for obesity in the country. This is not an exaggeration. This has been documented. I actually think a few years ago we broke the top 5. That. Is. Sad. Point blank. There is nothing else to say about it other than that is sad. 

Yet, as I drive around the city what do I see? Advertisement for new breakfast sandwiches toting that they are THE BEST WAY to start your morning. And what is it? Blueberry waffle breakfast sandwiches. Seriously?? THIS is the best way to start your morning? Let's analyze please. 550 calories....easily almost HALF your caloric content for the day. 350 calories from FAT! 38 grams of FAT which is 58% of the AVERAGE DAILY ALLOWANCE!!! COME ONE AMERICA! WAKE UP!! 

The other commercial ad that makes me want to scream is the one for IHOP stating that their FUNNEL CAKES ARE BACK FOR A GREAT MEAL! REALLY????? REALLY???? A FUNNEL CAKE for a freakin' meal? This is a TREAT at a carnival I thought....something to be had like once a year because it is dough FRIED IN GREASE! And now it is a GREAT MEAL??? 

Is it ANY wonder why the USA as a country is gaining so much weight? You can't turn on the television, radio, open a newspaper or EVEN DRIVE DOWN THE STREET without being bombarded with bad food choices!! As I sit here and write this I have watched a commercial for Burger King, McDonalds, Golden Corral, and Reese's Cups. And that was just TWO commercial breaks. 

What is it going to take to get a change in the nation? There has to be a way to get a grass root notion going to get change. I know in Cleveland it will be hard going but I am willing to help with getting it started. 

I am tired of being the one that has to always be special ordering things because there are like TWO restaurants in the area that actually have great options on their menu (one restaurant is AWESOME and almost anything is orderable!). All because I don't want to put crap into my body. I want whole food. Things I can pronounce because they are organic and in their original form. Is this really all that wrong? I know that the culture of the city doesn't fund it right now but it CAN be changed. WE CAN DO IT. But it takes a commitment. It takes a BIG commitment. 

It saddens me to see all the obese children out there as I drive down the streets. It saddens me that it costs TWICE as much to eat healthy as it does to eat like crap. It saddens me that people can't see how their eating is killing them and their family. 

I am tired of being sad. What about you? 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, girl....you should be down here! Our food is the best tasting, but it can be oh so bad for you....fried everything!! So I know just what you mean. The other day we went out with a bunch of folks, and I had a salmon and hummus salad....you should have seen the "ugh" looks I got from everyone else!! I'm with you....just know you're doing the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete