Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Points to Ponder of Why People WANT to Lose Weight....

Jan 11

So in my quest of trying to determine why it is I am on this journey I am investigating why other people generally try to lose weight: 

1) I want to be thin so (fill in) will find me attractive. 
-I don't think this is my reason because I don't worry what others think of me due to my outward appearances. If someone is going to judge me because of a physical characteristic than more likely than not I am not going to like that person nor want to get to know them. That being said, my boyfriend loves me how I am and would be perfectly content if I didn't lose weight. In fact when we got together I weighed more than I do now. 
-From the time I was 14 until the time I was divorced at 31 I had never really been single. I always had a "love" interest of some sort, so I know that I am physically attractive. I actually wonder if this somehow holds me back. Sounds backwards in a sense doesn't it? 

2) I want to be healthier. 
-ok, now this is a blanketed statement. Who doesn't want to be healthier...but what does it mean? I have been through so much testing with my Fibromyalgia that all my tests are normal and with in proper range. My cholesterol is wonderful and really no family history. My blood pressure is low to normal...though around 40 my mother had high BP. I will say my RHR is high, but none of my doctors seem to care because it has always been that way, even in college when I was working out consistently (but still overweight). 
-So this leads me to my Fibro...if I do keep moving I feel better, but I don't know if it is related to an actual weight versus just being active. 

3) I want to wear cute clothes. 
-I can wear cute clothes now. I have a lot of outfits that are downright adorable. I don't feel that is a size thing as much of a confidence level...which leads me to my next point.... 

4) I want to have high self esteem. 
-This is not going to come just because I shed weight. This is an internal factor that is based on many variables most of which is not weight. I actually have a fairly good self esteem. I know that I have many positive attributes to give to the world and I know what my strong points and negative points are. And I am comfortable with me. I don't believe that esteem is linked with societal norms of appearances. 

5) I want more energy and be able to do more. 
-I already work all day and then have something scheduled every evening afterwork and most weekends. If I get any busier I would have to clone myself. I am actually thinking of doing that now...hmmm...wonder if I split in to if that would count as weight loss... 
-This is where I get stuck, I think. I am a busy person (and I am not saying by any means that I am any more busy than others) and fitting it in (even scheduled) stresses me out, so I at times don't do it because of it. (see still keeping up with the no excuses). Add to it that I don't like it and it tends to be the first thing to go... 

I guess I should be attempting to figure out is it more important to determine WHY I want to or is it more important to determine WHY I keep fighting the process? I out of so many of the people on this site, know more about how and why exercise and health is so important, yet I keep fighting it....hmmm....points to ponder for my next blogging session... 

No comments:

Post a Comment